Thursday, October 25, 2012

Alicia Richman: Guinness World Records - Most Breastmilk Donated


Alicia Richman of Granbury, Texas has been declared the new Guinness World Record holder for "Most Breastmilk Donated," CBS DFW reports. Between June 2011 and March 2012, The 28-year-old mother of one donated 11,115 ounces -- or 694 pounds -- of breastmilk to charity, according to Guinness. By volume, that's about 87 gallons.

As noted by TexasMilkBank.org on its press release on Wednesday, October 24, 2012, Alicia Richman has donated 11,115 ounces (around 86.8 gallons) of her breastmilk from June 9, 2011 to March 28, 2012. She was awarded last month by the Guinness World Records for the most breastmilk donated, surpassing the earlier record of another American woman by more than 3,000 ounces.

According to the report, Richman, 28, who gave birth to her first son in March 2011, said she realized she had more than enough to feed her son when he was already 10 months old. Her two freezers were full of pumped breastmilk in plastic bags and bottles, and she has to decide on what to do with the excess milk.

"I'm so thankful that I'm able to help not only my own baby, Drake, but all of the little babies who need it and are sick," Richman told News 8. "It really feels amazing and I'm so thankful that I'm able to do it."

“I was so blessed to have more milk than I needed. I pumped at work, on vacations, in the car. And I never had to buy formula. I started searching the Internet to find out what I could do with these freezers full of milk, and that’s when I learned about the Mothers’ Milk Bank of North Texas.” Richman was quoted in the report.

“Alicia‘s generous gift of human milk has fed hundreds, and more likely, thousands of premature babies across the United States. Three ounces of donor human milk could be as much as nine feedings for a premature baby.” Amy Vickers, executive director of the Mothers’ Milk Bank of North Texas, said.

“We know that she’s changed lives all over Texas and beyond, and we are proud to see her earn this recognition from Guinness World Records.” Vickers added, with Richman noting that she still plans to donate her extra breastmilk when she gives birth again, and will try to break her own record.

0 comments: